New Scooters 4 Less pushes helmet movement

New Scooters For Less
New Scooters For Less

After founding New Scooters 4 Less in 2004, Collin Austin realized that most of his customers weren’t wearing helmets.

Since NS4L’s beginning, its goal has always been to put more helmets on heads, Austin said. With 80 percent of Austin’s student clientele purchasing helmets, the owner said he originally didn’t think there was a problem.

“When you really go around Gainesville, and you really go around the University of Florida, you realize not many people are wearing them,” he said.

In an attempt to prevent future injury, Austin said NS4L has taken a pledge: It will give away a free helmet with every new scooter purchase through the end of August. As it approaches its busiest season, the company expects to sell about 400 scooters to new and returning students.

With that prediction, NS4L stands to lose $30,000 in helmet sales, Austin said. But to him, it’s worth it.

“I started this company because I wanted to help students get to and from class at their convenience,” Austin said. “I never got into business to see somebody get killed on a scooter.”

Austin said he thinks most students only buy the helmet to please their parents and believe wearing helmets is uncool. Since there are currently no laws requiring people to wear helmets on scooters, unlike on bicycles, there is no way to make sure riders are being safe, and thus they can easily opt out of the safety precaution.

The company will also have each customer sign a pledge promising they will wear a helmet. In doing so, Austin said he hopes to change the perception surrounding helmets.

“I know that if I can get the majority of scooter riders wearing helmets, other people will look at it and say, ‘They’re wearing a helmet, and it’s no big deal to wear one,’” Austin said.

NS4L’s campaign video has received more than 130 shares on Facebook, including from UF Public Safety and Gainesville Police.

“(This pledge) is a huge step in the right direction,” Austin said. “I think you’re going to see a lot more helmets on heads as we continue to push this movement.”

Contact Adam Turner at aturner@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter: @fladam98.