<p>McCray</p>

McCray

Two teens were arrested early Tuesday morning after breaking into an apartment at Windsor Park Apartments, Gainesville Police said.

Maximillian Alfonso McCray, 18, and a 16-year-old boy entered the apartment, which was unlocked, at about 12:15 a.m. Tuesday, wearing ski masks and armed with a handgun, according to an arrest report.

The 16-year-old held someone who lived in the apartment at gunpoint while McCray stole $210 in cash, an Xbox One, a laptop and a tablet, according to the report.

The victim, an off-duty security officer, took a picture of their car, a white Ford Taurus, as the suspects fled, police said.

Officers tried to pull over the teenagers twice before eventually stopping the car at the 1200 block of Northwest 12th Avenue, northeast of UF’s campus, GPD spokesperson Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Police took the teens into custody. The victim identified them, and police found the handgun and stolen items inside the car, Tobias said.

The 16-year-old told police he broke into a home with his cousin to get some marijuana, but he denied taking anything other than money and marijuana, according to the report.

The two were visiting from Merritt Island, Florida, to seek refuge from Hurricane Irma, police said.

McCray was arrested on a charge of armed home invasion robbery and remains in the Alachua County Jail, as of press time, in lieu of a $150,000 bond.

@catie_wegman

mwegman@alligator.org

McCray