Generic Crime
Generic Crime

The story was updated to reflect the driver, Austin Yarbrough, died in UF Health Shands Hospital a day after the crash. 

A UF Health Shands Hospital pediatric nurse and the driver died after a one-car accident Monday night, authorities said.

Austin Tison, 25, of Starke, was a passenger in a 2017 Volkswagen Jetta heading west on County Road 225 near Northeast 199th Lane when the car shifted into the north shoulder and hit a culvert, or water pipe, at about 9:10 p.m., according to a Florida Highway Patrol press release.

The car became airborne, hit a tree and landed on its roof, according to the press release.

Tison died at the scene, and the driver, Austin Yarbrough, 21, of Melrose, was transported to Shands and died in the hospital on Tuesday at about 4:48 p.m., FHP officials said.

Tison started working as a pediatric nurse at Shands in June 2016, said hospital spokesperson Rossana Passaniti. Tison graduated from Santa Fe College in Spring 2016 with an Associate of Science degree in nursing, according to the college’s Office of the Registrar.

FHP is still investigating, but the cause of the crash is unknown.