North Central Florida YMCA to celebrate 50th anniversary

The North Central Florida YMCA will celebrate its 50th year in Gainesville this month, an achievement that comes after a financially stressful year.

In December, the organization announced it would be closing its doors after struggling with debt for more than 15 years, according to Alligator archives. By March 14, the organization raised $1.3 million, settling its debt, mortgage and renovation costs.

If closed, the organization would have left seven full-time and 82 part-time staff members without work and nearly 5,000 members without multipurpose facilities, including affordable child care.

Hundreds of community members dove into trying to help the organization remain open. Using every outlet possible, the organization was able to reach their goal and remain open, said the chapter’s CEO John Bonacci.

Bonacci said continued fundraising would be very beneficial to help the organization maintain scholarship funds for at-risk families and for future renovations to the facility.

The 50th anniversary celebration will take place June 24 at the North Central Florida YMCA, located at 5201 NW 34th Blvd., between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Bonacci said there will be activities that cater to people of all ages, including a bounce house and silent auction.

“I think it’s going to be one heck of a party,” Bonacci said. “We’ve got a lot to celebrate.”

Bill Foster, the events and fundraiser coordinator for the YMCA, said he is hoping the turnout will be good.

“We feel after everything the Y has been through over the past year with the threat of the doors being closed … this particular 50th anniversary event is to give back to the community for helping us,” Foster said.