Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man who police said broke into a woman’s apartment near Midtown early Saturday morning and watched her sleep is still at large.

At about 3:30 a.m. the woman woke up to a tall black man standing over her bed holding a cellphone with the flash on, said Gainesville Police spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias. The man left moments after she woke up and told him to leave.

When police arrived at her apartment at Northwest Third Place, in the College Park Apartments area, the suspect was nowhere to be found. Tobias said he likely entered the woman’s apartment through an unlocked front door.

Tobias said the man may have been in Midtown before the reported burglary. Police released a composite picture of the suspect Monday afternoon.

Detectives are asking residents who were in Midtown late Friday or early Saturday to check any pictures or selfies to see if they recognize a man who resembles the suspect’s description, Tobias said.

The suspect has been described as being an overweight black man between 6 feet and 6 feet 6 inches tall, who spoke through his teeth with a protruding lower jaw and pursed lips, according to a description released with the composite picture.

The woman told police the man’s speech was slow and his grammar was poor. He also wore a green shirt and basketball shorts, Tobias said.

Tobias said residents should stay vigilant and remain aware of how safe their homes are.

“The biggest safety tip is just to double check to make sure your residence is secure and have a way to call for help if needed,” Tobias said.