UPDATE 6:40 p.m.: The Associated Press reported at least 17 people are dead after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old suspect and former student of the school, is in custody and investigators are beginning to “dissect” what happened during the attack, according to the AP.
Cruz was previously expelled from the school, AP said. He had at least one rifle and multiple magazines.
Most of the fatalities came from inside the building, AP said.
The Broward County Sheriff’s Office said the FBI has established at tipline at 1-800-Call-FBI for any tips about the high school shooting.
UPDATE 5:30 p.m.: The Associated Press reported the shooter has been identified as Nicolas Cruz, a former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student. He was arrested without incident off campus. AP also reported that school officials said there are “numerous fatalities.”
BREAKING: US official: Florida school shooter identified as Nicolas Cruz.— The Associated Press (@AP) February 14, 2018
UPDATE 5 p.m.: Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High shooter was not a current student.
UPDATE 4:10 p.m.: The Broward County Sheriff’s Office announced the shooter is in custody, but the scene is still active. BSO tweeted that there at least 14 victims. Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital.
So far we have at least 14 victims. Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital. #StonemanShooting— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018
Shooter is now in custody. Scene is still active. #stonemanshooting— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018
Original story: A shooter is at large at a Broward County high school. There are reports of at least 20 victims, according to WSVN.
Today, close to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s dismissal, students and staff heard what sounded like gunfire. The school immediately went on lockdown but is now dismissing students. We are receiving reports of possible multiple injuries. Law enforcement is on site.— Broward Schools (@browardschools) February 14, 2018
The shooting began Wednesday afternoon — before classes let out — at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, located at 5901 Pine Island Rd, in Parkland, Florida, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies are currently at the scene, and the school is still on lockdown.
#BSO is working a developing incident regarding a report of active shooter located at 5901 Pine Island Rd, Parkland. Here's what we know so far: deputies are responding to reports of a shooting at Stoneman Douglas High. There are reports of victims. PIO will be on scene 3:15pm.— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) February 14, 2018
Law enforcement is urging people to avoid the area.
The school went on lockdown after there were reports of what sounded like gunfire but is now dismissing students, according to a tweet from Broward County Public Schools.
Students are being evacuated from the school one building at a time, the school system said.
Senator Bill Nelson tweeted he had spoken to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about the shooting, and Gov. Rick Scott has said he spoke to President Donald Trump about the shooting.
Praying for everyone at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Just spoke with Broward Undersheriff to ensure they have everything they need. And just spoke to FBI to make sure all federal resources are being made available to help. Will continue to monitor closely.— Bill Nelson (@SenBillNelson) February 14, 2018
“My thoughts and prayers are with the students, their families and the entire community. We will continue to receive briefings from law enforcement and issue updates,” Scott wrote in a Tweet.