UPDATE 6:40 p.m.: The Associated Press reported at least 17 people are dead after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old suspect and former student of the school, is in custody and investigators are beginning to “dissect” what happened during the attack, according to the AP.

Cruz was previously expelled from the school, AP said. He had at least one rifle and multiple magazines.

Most of the fatalities came from inside the building, AP said.

The Broward County Sheriff’s Office said the FBI has established at tipline at 1-800-Call-FBI for any tips about the high school shooting.

UPDATE 5:30 p.m.: The Associated Press reported the shooter has been identified as Nicolas Cruz, a former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student. He was arrested without incident off campus. AP also reported that school officials said there are “numerous fatalities.”

UPDATE 5 p.m.: Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High shooter was not a current student.

UPDATE 4:10 p.m.: The Broward County Sheriff’s Office announced the shooter is in custody, but the scene is still active. BSO tweeted that there at least 14 victims. Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital.

Original story: A shooter is at large at a Broward County high school. There are reports of at least 20 victims, according to WSVN.

The shooting began Wednesday afternoon — before classes let out — at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, located at 5901 Pine Island Rd, in Parkland, Florida, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies are currently at the scene, and the school is still on lockdown.

Law enforcement is urging people to avoid the area.

The school went on lockdown after there were reports of what sounded like gunfire but is now dismissing students, according to a tweet from Broward County Public Schools.

Students are being evacuated from the school one building at a time, the school system said.

Senator Bill Nelson tweeted he had spoken to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about the shooting, and Gov. Rick Scott has said he spoke to President Donald Trump about the shooting.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the students, their families and the entire community. We will continue to receive briefings from law enforcement and issue updates,” Scott wrote in a Tweet.

Contact Paige Fry at [email protected]. Contact Meryl Kornfield at [email protected]

Paige Fry is the Alligator's freelance editor. Send story pitches, tips, comments and feedback to [email protected]

Meryl Kornfield, a UF journalism junior, covers the beats desk in the newsroom. Born in Miami, FL, her first journalism experience was working for her high school newspaper, The Palmetto Panther.