NEWS  |  SFC

Police: Tallahassee man brings gun to class

<p>Nicholas Robert Thompson</p>

Nicholas Robert Thompson

A Tallahassee man was arrested and charged with bringing a loaded gun to Santa Fe College on Tuesday night on, Santa Fe College Police said.

Nicholas Robert Thompson, 30, had a loaded 9mm Taurus PT111 handgun tucked in his front waistband while he was attending a class in Building O on Santa Fe’s northwest campus at about 6:30 p.m., according to an arrest report. Jay Anderson, Santa Fe’s communication manager, said a student saw the gun and told the teacher who then called police.

“The system worked the way it should,” Anderson said.

Thompson was arrested for having the concealed gun on Santa Fe’s campus, police said.

Thompson isn’t a student at the school and was attending an Occupational Safety and Health Administration safety class taught at the college, Anderson said.

Anderson said Thompson told police he forgot he was carrying the gun when he went to the campus and had a concealed carry permit.

Thompson’s arrest was the same day a junior at Eastside High School was arrested on charges related to his bringing a loaded revolver to school in his backpack, according to Alligator archives.

Thompson was arrested on a charge of carrying a firearm on a school campus and taken to the Alachua County Jail. He was released Wednesday night on a $50,000 bond.

He could not be reached for comment.

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @Lewis__Robert

Nicholas Robert Thompson