Reitz’s Arts and Craft Center reopens after eight-month construction. Here’s what’s new.

<p>UF students Diana Rodas, a zoology junior, Natalie Guzman, a public relations sophomore, and Patricia Lauzardo, a sociology senior, draw on canvas bags at the Reitz Union Arts &amp; Crafts Center Grand Reopening Extravaganza on Wednesday afternoon.</p>

UF students Diana Rodas, a zoology junior, Natalie Guzman, a public relations sophomore, and Patricia Lauzardo, a sociology senior, draw on canvas bags at the Reitz Union Arts & Crafts Center Grand Reopening Extravaganza on Wednesday afternoon.

Gillian Yee carefully pressed her hands against her spinning chunk of clay that would eventually be molded into a pot Wednesday afternoon.

It was the first time in about eight months that the UF art history sophomore got to sculpt in the Arts & Crafts Center located in the Reitz Union. The center was closed for construction while rooms previously used for maintenance and storage were demolished and repurposed to be a part of the art studio. Visitors flowed in and out from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. to see the enlarged space, said assistant director Jill Keezer.

Yee, 19, started using the center as a freshman. She said it helped her come out of her shell as an out-of-state student and meet some close friends.

“They make you feel like you belong here,” Yee said. “I come in my free time. It’s very unique.”

Groups have started booking the space for socials because its main room can now fit up to 50 people from a previous 25, Keezer said. Between six students to 10 students can now participate in art lessons, dropping the cost per student.

Students can purchase a semester membership, which gives complete access to the studio, or they can pay for specific courses, Keezer said. Beginners can join papercraft workshops for free at the beginning of the semester.

“People enjoy the class because you get to meet people and make friends,” she said.

Correction: This article has been updated to reflect that only the papercraft workshop is free.