Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A UF student was sexually battered early Thursday getting into a vehicle she thought was an Uber in Midtown, according to a UF public safety alert.

Gainesville Police Department is investigating the incident, the alert said. Earlier that night, she was drinking with friends at a Midtown bar at 1700 W. University Ave. She left the bar and her friends after 2 a.m. and tried to order an Uber.

She got into what she thought was an Uber, the alert said. When the driver took them past Gainesville toward Alachua, she demanded to be let out of the vehicle and was dropped off on the side of U.S. 441.

Shortly after, a dark-colored SUV approached her, and she was sexually battered, the alert said. After, she was again left on the side of the roadway where she was located and law enforcement was notified.

The suspect is a male in his early 30s, the alert said.

Police are asking anyone with information about the inciden to call the Gainesville Police Department at 352-955-1818 or text keyword “GPDFL” with a tip to 274637 (CRIMES). Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP (7867).

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Lewis__Robert.