Generic Crime
Generic Crime

The other side of a pointed gun was the last thing a 19-year-old Williston resident and UF employee expected to see on his trip to Gainesville for a doctor’s appointment Thursday.

Kentrell Herman Houston, 26, is accused of pointing a handgun directly at the 19-year-old while passing by him in the left lane on Southwest Williston Road in separate vehicles, according to a Gainesville Police report.

“He was hauling butt,” said Anthony, the Williston teenager who declined to give his full name in order to protect his privacy.

Houston was tailgating Anthony for some time while they both traveled eastbound, according to the report. Anthony said when the road opened up from two lanes to four lanes, near Interstate 75, Houston whipped his grey Chevy Malibu around on the left lane, extended his arm across his passenger and aimed a handgun right at him.

“I had to swerve off the road a bit,” Anthony said, to protect himself and his two passengers: a pregnant woman in the passenger seat and another friend in back.

Anthony said Houston didn’t fire the gun or say anything as he passed by.

Anthony said he immediately followed Houston’s car for about five minutes to “get his tag” and then called 911. After about 30 minutes, police found Houston in the vehicle at 740 NE 23rd Ave. and brought Anthony to confirm his description, according to the report.

Police patted Houston down and found a handgun in the front waistband of his shorts, at which point Houston told them about the loaded magazine he had in his pockets, according to the report.

Officers were unable to locate a passenger that Anthony described being in Houston’s car at the time of the incident, according to the report.

According to the report, Houston admitted to “picking up the gun” but told police he didn’t point it at Anthony. He also said Anthony was “brake checking” when he was behind him, which is why he passed on the left.

Houston is on federal probation for past charges of armed robbery and served three years in prison, according to the report. Houston faces charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm while considered a convicted felon.

Houston remains in the Alachua County Jail on Monday in lieu of a $250,000 bond. He could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Anthony said he did end up making the doctor’s appointment, even though he arrived late. Now that the incident is behind him, he said he just wants to get back to normal.

“I’m trying to forget about it,” he said. “That’s what I’m trying to do.”

Contact David Hoffman at dhoffman@alligator.org  and follow him on Twitter: @hoffdavid123.