Janine Sikes, the assistant Vice President of public Affairs, resigned from her position Tuesday morning, according to an email from a UF official.

Jane Adams, the Vice President of university relations, sent an email to UF’s college deans announcing Sikes’s resignation. In the email, Adams says Sikes’ resignation will be effective in Fall 2018.

According to Adams’ email, Sikes will work on special projects and help transition the new Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing. Sikes is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons, the email states.

Sikes said she resigned to spend time helping her husband and his parents, who are facing health challenges.

“I’ve had a great, great run at the University of Florida,” Sikes said. “I’ve totally enjoyed it, and I’m ready for next chapter.”

In an emailed statement, Sikes said Adam’s upcoming April retirement, and the search for her replacement, also influenced her decision.

“It is only fitting that a new executive be able to assemble his or her own teams,” she said. “I am looking forward to a new chapter and wish only the best for my alma mater.”

Sikes worked at the university for over 10 years and her salary was $102,617, UF spokesperson Margot Winick wrote in an email.

Winick will temporarily fulfill Sikes’s role until someone permanently fills the position.

This is a developing story. Check back with The Alligator for updates.

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen.