<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-fdfa7fec-01f9-8768-fac3-b9772ebeb1e0"><span>Jose Javier Navas Heredia</span></span></p>

Jose Javier Navas Heredia

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that Jose Javier Navas Heredia was arrested after allegedly cutting the tip of a bouncer's thumb, not cutting off the bouncer's thumb as previously reported. This story has also been updated to reflect that Heredia was not released to U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, as originally told to Alligator reporters by jail staff. The magistrate's report does not include that information. 

A Florida Gulf Coast University student is accused of getting in a fight in front of a midtown bar and cutting the tip of a bouncer’s thumb with a knife early Monday, Gainesville Police said.

Jose Javier Navas Heredia, 23, was part of a fight in front of a midtown bar at 1702 W. University Ave. after midnight, according to an arrest report. When a bouncer from the bar came and grabbed Navas Heredia by the shoulders to stop the fight, he turned around and pulled a pocket knife from his back pocket, according to the report.

Navas Heredia opened the knife and held the blade to the bouncer’s chest, police said.

Two off-duty bouncers from the bar saw Navas Heredia had a knife and tried to disarm him, according to the report. He resisted and cut the tip of one of the two men’s right thumb in the struggle, police said.

The manager of the bar came outside and was finally able to disarm Navas Heredia, according to the report.

Police said he tried to leave the scene, but a witness pointed him out to officers and he was detained.

After his arrest, Navas Heredia told police he did not own the knife but may have touched it during the fight.

He was taken to Alachua County Jail where he was released Monday on his own recognizance.

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @Lewis__Robert.

Jose Javier Navas Heredia