<p dir="ltr"><span>Dancers raise their hands during a dance number at 2017's Dance Marathon at the O'Connell Center. Dance Marathon raises money and awareness for Children's Miracle Network.</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

Dancers raise their hands during a dance number at 2017's Dance Marathon at the O'Connell Center. Dance Marathon raises money and awareness for Children's Miracle Network.

UF President Kent Fuchs will donate up to $10,000 of his own money for Dance Marathon 2018.

For the 24th annual fundraiser UF Dance Marathon, Fuchs said he will match donations up to $10,000. He contributes to Dance Marathon every year, often through social media campaigns, videos, attending meetings or participating in the closing ceremony. This year, the Dance Marathon leadership asked him if he would be willing to donate his own money, and he agreed.

“I’m just a willing participant eager to help in any way I can,” Fuchs said.

More than 800 UF students work on Dance Marathon, a fundraising event in which participants try to stay on their feet for 26.2 hours, Rachel Auld, a UF Dance Marathon spokesperson, wrote in an email. It will be held March 24.

The money goes to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, and it’s local nearest location is UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, to provide financial support and awareness for children with health issues.

Auld said this is the first time Fuchs or any former UF president has made a financial donation to Dance Marathon.

“President Fuchs is a man we all admire,” Auld said. “A true role model to the UF population.”

The organization also raises money through donor drives, mini marathons, merchandise, monetary sponsorship and community events, Auld said. Of the funds, 10 percent goes to education, 42 percent to patient care and 48 percent to research.

The opportunity to support children’s healthcare influenced Fuchs’ decision to donate. He said the cause is special to him, especially because the funds go into a local children’s hospital.

Fuchs said he hopes his donation will increase motivation to all the students involved in the organization and donors.

Ashlyn Tosey, a 19-year-old UF animal sciences freshman and Dance Marathon member, said it’s incredible to see the UF president willing to get behind the students working toward the cause.

Not only does Dance Marathon bring students together, but Fuchs also integrates himself into the Student Body to back the organization, Tosey said.

“He’s not just the president,” Tosey said. “He’s definitely supportive of all his students.”