UF Health art initiative to promote local creativity with social media

Correction: This article has been corrected to reflect that the event at Depot Park on Feb. 25 is not canceled, and Kesl is the coordinator of 352Creates.

Create in Place, an event organized by 352Creates, will go online Friday.

352Creates, a UF Health Arts in Medicine program initiative, encourages art created locally with Create in Place, an event started in 2016, said Charlotte Kesl, the coordinator of 352Creates.

Kesl said the initiative is motivating social media users to share their artwork with hashtag #CreateinPlace, and 352Creates will repost their work the second Friday of each month. On Feb. 25, the initiative will co-host Create in Community at Depot Park with Active Streets Gainesville.

“We intend to make our new Create in Place a creative movement that is more far-reaching than just a one-day reminder each year,” Kesl said. “We want to encourage the 352 area residents to create wherever they are and whenever they want.”

John Kieslich, the operations assistant at UF Arts in Medicine, said he got involved in the initiative because he works at UF Health Shands Hospital and thought patients have a better hospital visit when creating art.

“352Creates works to help the community achieve optimal well-being through mindfulness, creativity and the arts,” Kieslich said.

Kesl said the new campaign will have a greater impact since it is year round rather than once every spring.

“This shared sense of community through creativity can now be felt once a month instead of once a year,” Kesl said. “Our network of individuals, organizations and business can now be constantly connected by sharing their creative projects with our hashtag.”