Local brewery celebrates grand opening with new beer

In Chris Hart’s brewery, the televisions are only turned on when someone asks to watch something.

“We’re not a sports bar,” said Hart, the owner of Blackadder Brewing Company. “It’s a place for family, community and to have a good time.”

After opening four months ago, the brewery, located at 618 NW 60th St., celebrated its grand opening earlier this week with the release of a signature craft beer, “It Takes a Village.”

The beer is the culmination of a collaboration with representatives from First Magnitude Brewing Company, Alligator Brewing and Swamp Head Brewery, and it’s available at all the breweries.

“Every (brewery) in town has their own personality,” said Hart, 47, adding that he and his staff feel at home in the local brewery community. “We’re small and cozy.”

Hart, who has lived in Gainesville since 1990, said he and his wife, Patricia “Sissy” Hart, got the idea for opening the pub from their trips to Great Britain, Ireland and Germany.

“No matter what, there’s always those old, nice comfortable pubs out there,” he said. “We were always impressed with that and wanted to bring it here.”

For Josh Halford, the atmosphere is why Blackadder is a great place to unwind after work.

Halford, who works next door at McAlister’s Deli, said he’s been going to the brewery two to three times a week after work, often with a coworker since it first opened.

“It’s not like a normal bar,” the 26-year- old Gainesville resident said. “It’s a lot more laid back.”

BLACKADDER’S TAP BEERS:

• It Takes a Village
    • $6 for 16 ounces
  • Date Night
    • $8 for 10 ounces
  • The Jerkmaker
    • $5 for 10 ounces
  • Hildegard of Bingen
    • $8 for 10 ounces
  • Lord Flashheart’s Golden Ale
    • $6 for 16 ounces
  • Riders of the Lost Oat
    • $7 for 10 ounces