Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UF liberal arts college searching for new dean

The search has begun for a new dean for UF’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Initial interviews began Thursday and Friday, with candidates who had been chosen from a larger pool of hopefuls, said Alisson Clark, senior writer for UF media relations.

The previous dean, Paul D’Anieri, left in June after accepting a position in California.

Three or four finalists will be invited to campus around the second and third week of February for another round of interviews, Clark said.

“There will be opportunities to visit with the campus community so the candidates can learn about UF,” Clark said.

Each of the finalists will participate in an open forum before the provost and President Kent Fuchs make a decision. The final decision should be announced in early March, Clark said.

Blake Patel, a 21-year-old UF anthropology senior, said it is important that the search committee chooses an innovative candidate, especially because the college is the largest in the university. He said he would like to see the college more broken up.

“I just think that would give people more of an identity with their major,” Patel said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 1/30/2015 under the headline “UF liberal arts college searching for new dean"]