After a monthlong tour of Europe, two UF students displayed their experience to the public at an exhibit Friday night.

Kelly McLarnon and Lauren Langston, journalism seniors, made the trip this summer, photographing their experiences along the way.

Two weeks of their trip were part of a Berlin 2009 study abroad program led by John Freeman, the head of UF's photojournalism program. Freeman, who lived in Berlin in high school, said he dreamed up the trip while on sabbatical in 2004. The first group of students traveled in 2005.

The exhibit, located at the Christian Study Center of Gainesville, included black-and-white and color images of everyday scenes mixed with impressive European landmarks. Photos of seagulls and balloons were interspersed with those of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame.

"You could tell that they are very creative," Freeman said. "They both bring an artistic edge to photojournalism."

McLarnon used scrap materials for her handcrafted frames while Langston used recycled frames and wood palettes and cut her mattes from discarded pieces.

Both McLarnon and Langston have a desire to use their passion for photography to change the world. Langston wants to go to Spanish-speaking countries and help improve the working conditions of sweatshops. McLarnon has unconventional career plans, too.

"I want to travel for a while and live in different communities with the people there," she said. "Then, somehow, I want to tell their stories and compile and share them with the world."

About 25 people visited the exhibition. Prices for the photos ranged from $55 to $180.