The UF Office of Sustainability has coordinated with four local farms to bring a Community Supported Agriculture Program to campus beginning October.

The program will allow students to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as support local farmers and the economy, said Anna Prizzia, director of the Office of Sustainability.

Students would pay up front to one of the four local farms participating in the program, and they will receive a basket of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers once a week.

“This is a nice stepping stone to having a farmers market on campus,” Prizzia said.

The Family Garden Organic Farm, Swallowtail Farm, Kumarie’s Organic Garden and Graham Farms will be participating in the program this year.

“College kids are some of the people that get the worst nutrition because they don’t have a lot of time to cook and prepare food, and even the food that’s available on campus obviously isn’t the greatest for them,” said Noah Shitama,  co-owner of Swallowtail Farm.

The Family Garden Organic Farm will begin delivering Oct. 18, and the other farms will be starting in November. The program will last through June.

A full-share bundle, which is eight to 10 items of produce each week, runs from $500 to $550. A half-share bundle, which is four to six items per week, runs from $250 to $275. Students would pay one time, up-front. The produce provided in the baskets will depend on what’s in season.

For more information or to sign up, visit www.sustainability.ufl.edu/gatorscsa.