Gator Dining

With a new program, ordering from most Gator Dining locations can be done through an app before users reach their destinations.

Tapingo is a free app that can be downloaded on Apple or Android devices. The app officially launched May 18, but Gator Dining has been internally testing the app since the end of the Spring semester, Jill Rodriguez, the marketing program manager for Gator Dining Services, wrote in an email.

Through the app, students can use their meal plans to pay for their food. But Tapingo is not exclusively for students — patrons can also load their credit card information into the app.

Terri Dildine, a grants specialist in UF’s Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, downloaded the app but said she hasn’t had the chance to use it yet.

“I heard about (the app) through an email from another faculty member,” Dildine said. “I would love to use it, but I’m just not sure where to get my food.”

While some UF students said they were excited to use the app, they weren’t sure how it worked.

The app directs users through an ordering process. Once their food is ready, they are to pick it up at the sign located at their designated food location.

“Gator Dining understands that students, faculty and staff need to get their food quickly and with this program, guests can order their food on the way to the location and have it ready when they arrive,” Rodriguez wrote.

With his busy student lifestyle, David Prida, a 20-year-old UF nuclear engineering junior, said he didn’t feel like he would make much use of the app.

“I am too noncommittal to use an app that has a required pickup time,” Prida said. “Chipotle has a similar system and my friend uses it all the time, so I wouldn’t be surprised if students took advantage of it.”

Locations available through Tapingo, starting Summer B:

• Starbucks
  • Subway
  • Chick-Fil-A
  • Einstein Bros. Bagels
  • Rising Roll
  • Pollo Tropical
  • Freshens
  • Croutons
  • Chomp It
  • Jamba Juice
  • Moe’s Southwest Grill
  • Panda Express
  • Papa John’s
  • Wendy’s
  • Wing Zone