A summer job working for a moving company led 24-year-old Kyle Cabral to create a new social networking website just for Greeks.

Cabral, a Zeta Beta Tau (ΖΒΤ) Fraternity alumnus, was working for UF Mover Guys when he said he realized sorority women were overcharged by furniture movers. He felt these women could save money if they had a way to connect online with fraternity men to help them move.

Cabral created GreekSociaLife.com to allow Greeks to connect with people based on year, major and Greek affiliation. The website, which was launched in September, also has a classifieds section.

“It’s like Craigslist; it’s like Facebook,” Cabral said. “It’s a lot of stuff in one.”

Cabral hopes to attract advertisers to the website as soon as the member base is large enough. He plans to donate 10 percent of profits from those advertisers to Dance Marathon at UF.

Lauren Watson, a 22-year-old advertising senior at UF, said the donation made to Dance Marathon was one of the main reasons she created a profile.

Watson, a member of Delta Gamma (ΔΓ) Sorority, said Facebook has become so broad that it is hard to connect with other Greeks.

“A lot of people in Greek life want to communicate about ideas, but they don’t really have a platform,” Watson said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 10/4/2013 under the headline "Alum makes Craigslist-like Greek social site"