A UF group will educate students about safe sex and healthy relationships this week.

UF’s Hispanic-Latino Affairs will host workshops as part of its first “HLA Loves You Week.” The group aims to break cultural taboos in the Hispanic culture regarding sex before marriage and interracial and same-sex relationships.     

Jacof Teran, a UF sociology senior, said he wants to talk about overcoming cultural taboos regarding sex.  

“This portion aims to create a safe place for women to learn about healthy sex,” the 21-year-old said. “The presentation will have topics about contraception, STDs and different forms of birth control.”

Teran is also a panelist for the “Love Is Blind” workshop.

“I’m in a same-sex relationship, so I’ll be giving that perspective, the ups and downs but also the fruits and joys being Latino,” he said.

The ultimate goal of the event is to express that love is blind and breaks the barrier of any background, he said.

Friday, HLA will pass out condoms and Life Saver candies on Turlington Plaza, said Diana Moreno, a program coordinator for HLA.

Mary Ansell, a UF English senior, said she will attend events and is glad HLA is educating students about STDs.

“I know people that have HIV and had they been more educated, it could have prevented them from getting it,” the 22-year-old said. “Valentine’s Day is a time to be with your lover, and I’m thrilled to attend an event that endorses healthy love.”