UF law student takes cupid tradition to ninja competition

<p>Bobby Walsh (left), a 25-year-old UF law student, poses for a picture while dressed as Cupid at the Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center open house in the Law library Thursday.</p>

Bobby Walsh (left), a 25-year-old UF law student, poses for a picture while dressed as Cupid at the Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center open house in the Law library Thursday.

Cupid crashed an event at the UF Levin College of Law’s library Thursday, draped in a pale pink toga and accessorized with feathery, white wings.

Bobby Walsh, a 25-year-old UF law student, surprised classmates and faculty on campus as part of his annual tradition of playing Cupid.

He was the center of attention at the Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center’s open house, which was geared toward sharing important resources with law students. Armed with a bow and arrow, he embraced selfies and giggles.

Walsh has been moonlighting as Cupid since enrolling at Levin in 2012 after earning his undergraduate degree from UF in business management and “a minor in swimming” as a member of UF’s Division I swim team.

He has a passion for dressing up and amusing students, he said, which began when he and a close friend ran onto Turlington Plaza dressed up as gorillas, holding signs that read, “Gorilla hugs are better than bear hugs,” and hugging the people passing by.

It became a tradition to join the rush on Turlington Plaza and surprise students with pranks and gifts. It didn’t take long before he took his antics to law school.

“My first year, I was very serious in my studies and wanted to be as professional as possible,” he said. “But Valentine’s Day came around and I decided to have fun. I wanted to bring some smiles to the law school, which doesn’t happen every day.”

In his first year as Cupid, Walsh said he barged into classrooms, handing out candy and valentines to unsuspecting students.

That same year, the Florida Supreme Court justices visited campus to speak to law students as part of a lecture series — and some were Walsh’s victims.  

“I open the door, and the entire room just gasps,” Walsh said, imitating the reaction of the class of 150 students.

But he kept going.

After apologizing, he darted down the aisle handing out valentines to the room of laughing students and Florida Supreme Court justices.

Later, he was approached by Justice Barbara Pariente, a “little, five-foot-nothing, sweet lady,” asking for a photo.

“I wish I got it on my phone too,” he said. “I wasn’t thinking at the time, dumbstruck that a justice would want to take a photo with me.”

He didn’t deliver his usual grams this year, but Cupid was still invited to the information session.

“(The staff) asked if I could do my thing today and, of course, I said yes,” Walsh said.  

Walsh is set to graduate in May with a J.D., but he plans on “passing on the bow” to law student Sean Breit-Rupe.

After he graduates, he will work within the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corp. in operational law, but also fight to become the next “American Ninja Warrior,” planning to dominate the reality show competition.

Walsh said he scheduled his last year at UF accordingly so that he can compete in “American Ninja Warrior,” which begins filming during exam week later this spring. He has been training for the competition with yoga, olympic weight training and bodyweight exercises.

“I actually met two guys who have seven or eight obstacles set up in their backyard in Micanopy, and I train with them when I can,” Walsh said. “Between all that, hopefully I will be well-prepared for the show.” ​

Danielle Bernard, 20, was one of the students who snapped a photo with Walsh on Thursday. Bernard, a UF sociology sophomore, entered the law library in search of a quiet place to study.

“I wasn’t expecting to see Cupid in the library,” she said. “Out of all places to study, I walked smack into Cupid and a Valentine’s Day surprise.”

Bernard said she will continue to study at the law library and hopes she’ll see Cupid again some day.

“I thought it was fun and spontaneous,” she said. “Not anyone else I know will have this picture, and that’s rare here at UF.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/13/2015 under the headline “UF law student takes cupid tradition to ninja competition"]