Samantha Grosse’s story can be told through the sound of her infectious laugh, the sight of her vibrant smile and the strength of her spirit. 

The 22-year-old telecommunications senior, who died Nov. 30 from cystic fibrosis, cracked jokes with classmates, served as a foster parent for animals and raised awareness for the disease that slowly took her life.

A group of about 230 people including sorority sisters, family members and friends gathered on the lawn of the Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority house to remember Sam.

A slideshow played as guests looked on, holding lit candles. Sorority sisters and classmates spoke about Sam’s sense of humor and compassion.

Meredith Hollister, a UF engineering senior, described meeting Sam for the first time, saying she heard Sam’s laugh before she saw her.

Hollister said Sam knew how to live each day to the fullest.

UF alumnus Itay Bengal said he was Sam’s study buddy. He said it was easy to feel comfortable around her.

“I never met a person who was able to put the needs of others before her own like she did,” Bengal said.

Kathleen Hoy, Sam’s mom, said Sam was a spunky child who could hail a cab in New York City at the age of 4 and loved being recorded for home movies.

Although Hoy said she was crying at the beginning of the service, when a nearby candle started to flare up, her tears turned to laughter because she knew it was a sign from Sam.

She encouraged the people in the audience to take two deep breaths and release their fear and sadness.

“Sam struggled for every breath, but she never struggled for spirit,” Hoy said.

Casi Davis, Sam’s roommate, said when the pair prepared to go out for the night, they would blast music and have makeshift dance parties with friends in their apartment.

Davis said Sam also brought home pets varying from dogs to cats to mice. The two even fostered a dog named Fletcher and would dress him up in Gators T-shirts.

Sam’s outgoing personality made her an effective advocate for raising awareness and finding a cure for cystic fibrosis.

Sam spoke eloquently to social workers about what it was like to grow up with cystic fibrosis, said Peggy Dolan, the executive director of the Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund, which helps families with sick children pay their uninsured expenses.

Dolan said Sam was polished and mature.

“So, I mean, she could have done anything with her life, and she did,” Dolan said. “That’s the most amazing part, is she did.”

Dolan’s organization presented Sam with the Jack C. Graham Jr. Courage Award in 2005 because of her willingness to share her story.