Research project promotes flexibility, includes Twister

Students will bend, twist and stretch from dot to dot at a UF group’s first Twister event.

Get Fruved UF will encourage students to get flexible at 2 p.m. on the Plaza of the Americas.

Get Fruved, which stands for "get your fruits and vegetables," is a USDA-funded research project aimed at encouraging college students to eat healthier and exercise more. The group also coaches students on how to deal with stress, said Leeashaa Ramoutar, 21, a student researcher for Get Fruved.

"It’s to bring awareness," the UF biology junior said. "It’s for your own health, too."

The group is studying the effects of physical activity intervention efforts on freshman health. This semester, they found that while it’s hard to encourage participation, students respond to fun and original forms of exercise, said David Barreto, an event coordinator.

The UF food science junior said he’s hoping by teaching flexibility, students will prevent injuries.

Barreto, 20, said the event will promote healthy habits, which he thinks is an important part of future health.

"It definitely leads, in my opinion, to life-long habits," he said. "If you don’t eat healthy and exercise right now, you’re not going to when you’re 50 or 60. And it really matters."