UF singers, songwriters and artists step up to the mic

Students came out to jam Monday night as they supported local artists and musicians at the UF Singer-Songwriter Society’s Open Mic Night at the Orange & Brew. Participants sang, played keyboard and guitar and kept the audience hooked with their poetic verses.

Although various members of the Singer-Songwriter Society performed, the event was open for anyone to participate. Some sung inspirational songs, while others performed their own original work. One performer sang a medley of songs, accompanied by his guitar.

“With a good song, you’re telling a story,” said Preston Ashby, treasurer of SSS and a UF journalism senior. “There’s kind of an air in the room when you do it right.”

Alton Edmond, a member of the audience, said he came to support others who were performing  and found the event to be quite welcoming.

“I really enjoyed the event,” Edmond said. “It set a really smooth, relaxing environment. It was easy to get into the performances on stage because of the environment.”

The organization is hosting one more Open Mic Night event this semester but also hosts other activities to further help its members, such as workshops for vocal training and stage presence.

The group has also collaborated with other UF organizations, such as Hope for Haiti, that need performers for their events.

The group has planned a ‘90s Night, which will take place Nov. 16 at Orange & Brew. SSS members will perform covers of songs from the 1990s.

The organization, founded in March of 2009, was created to help promote local singers, songwriters and musicians.

“There wasn’t a home for people to get positive feedback,” said Malika Wright, founder and president of SSS. “Anyone passionate about music should join SSS because they will grow as artists.”