UF Libertarians collected clothes, canned foods and school supplies on the Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.

The group is collecting the supplies for 15 Syrian refugees living in Jacksonville, Florida.

Collections for new and gently used clothes will continue through Friday on the Plaza, said Bela Cunningham, the president of UF Libertarians.

The group decided to host the drive to help Syrian refugees living in Florida, the UF graphic design sophomore said.

“A lot of refugees came with next to nothing,” the 20-year-old said.

The first day of the drive surpassed the group’s expectations, she said. They received enough donations to fill one large cardboard box. She hopes to fill six or seven.

Cunningham said UF Libertarians started planning the event about three weeks ago after receiving a $250 grant from Students for Liberty, a nonprofit that facilitates student leadership and professional development.

She hopes to educate students about why refugees should be allowed into the country, she said. She wants to diminish the negative ideas about immigration, such as their being terrorists and destroying the economy.

Becky Richey, a UF international studies senior, donated costumes from Shakespeare in the Park to the drive.

She said it would show refugees they are being socially accepted.

“It shows they are being accepted from students and faculty,” the 21-year-old said.

WHAT STUDENTS CAN DONATE:

Pants

Shirts

Sweaters

Shoes

School supplies

Canned foods