UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital revealed a new entrance along with the Sebastian Ferrero Atrium on Wednesday as part of its ongoing renovation projects.

The atrium includes a dedication wall honoring its namesake, Sebastian Ferrero, a 3-year-old who passed away at Shands in 2007.

The $11 million atrium and exterior were presented Wednesday in front of crowd of physicians, hospital staff and donors.

Inspired to honor their son’s memory, Sebastian’s parents launched the Sebastian Ferrero Foundation, which advocates for advancements in pediatric care.

David Guzick, president of UF Health, said the revealing is "a culmination of a vision that started four or five years ago to give an identity to a dedicated children’s hospital."

He said remaining projects include renovations of the neonatal intensive care unit and a pre-and-post operative area for pediatric surgical patients.

Featured at the entrance of the children’s hospital is a sculpture, "Tomorrow," created by artist Romero Britto and commissioned by the Sebastian Ferrero Foundation.

"It’s a realization of a dream in memory of our son, but for the benefit of so many children and families for decades to come," Horst Ferrero, Sebastian’s father, said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/4/2014 under the headline "Children’s Hospital unveils colorful entrance"]