La Casita search for new director nears end

UF’s Institute of Hispanic-Latino Cultures is nearing the final stretch of its search for a new director.

The director of Hispanic-Latino Affairs coordinates multicultural and intercultural education programs for the campus community that educate and promote awareness, understanding and appreciation of diversity and multiculturalism on campus.

On Wednesday and Friday, the institute hosted its series of interviews for potential directors.  The names of the directors have not yet been publically released.

On both days, each candidate gathered with stakeholders — students, faculty and administrators — in Peabody Hall to present on a topic of interest. Following the presentation, the day’s candidate retired to La Casita to meet with students only.

Each candidate gave a brief introduction and fielded questions that ranged from personal to political. Issues of particular interest to students included national social justice concerns as well as local, campus-specific events, such as the opening of La Salita, the institute’s new Reitz Union space. 

The nomination committee, a group of six faculty and staff members as well as four student leaders, will make a recommendation to Mary Kay Schneider Carodine, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs. 

Carmen Lopez-Ramirez, an ambassador at the institute, said that historically, nominations by the search committee are accepted, although Carodine does have the final say.

The committee made its recommendation on Monday, but Carodine will run reference checks on each candidate before coming to a final decision.

Both students and stakeholders were allowed to rate candidates on factors such as effective communication, passion for justice and advocacy, passion for diversity, and community awareness. The committee made its suggestion to Carodine based on these ratings, as well as upon their own observations.

“What’s your gut feeling?” Lopez-Ramirez asked attendees Wednesday, after the candidate had excused himself from La Casita so that students could discuss. Members of the audience were free to express approval or concern. 

Divya Jolly and Kimberly Rivera attended Wednesday to represent the office of LGBT Affairs.  As members of a multicultural and diversity affairs organization, Rivera said she was invested in the Hispanic-Latino Cultures Institute’s effort to find a suitable director.

“It’s really important for us to show support and know who we’ll be working with in the future,” Rivera said.