UF expects Title IX complaints to go up after new awareness campaign launches

A new campaign at UF aims to prevent sexual discrimination and harassment on campus.

Paula Varnes Fussell, vice president of Human Resource Services for the university, said the campaign’s purpose is to raise awareness about the dangers of sexual discrimination for faculty, staff and students.

“This is about making sure we have a campus where we can work and learn that’s free of harassment,” Fussell said.

She said the campaign is in conjunction with the federal Title IX law, which states that discrimination on the basis of sex is prohibited in any education program.

Posters adorned with the messages “sexual misconduct is never okay” and “recognize, report, prevent” will be placed around campus in dorms, bathrooms and lecture halls, Fussell said.

Ongoing seminars on sexual discrimination will also be held by UF Title IX coordinators throughout campus this month.

She said sexual discrimination complaints are expected to increase as people become aware of what it is and how to report it.

“This is a new campaign, but this is not a new issue of importance for the university,” she said.

Daviel Salgado, an 18-year-old UF engineering freshman, said he’s unsure if the campaign will be enough of a deterrent.

“Hanging up posters is good and all, but I don’t think it will help much for people getting sexually assaulted,” he said.

Elnora Mitchell, UF Title IX coordinator and assistant director of equity and diversity, said the university’s efforts are going to continue with each batch of incoming students every Fall.

She said her team of Title IX officers will monitor for complaints and ensure they are responded to and both parties are notified.

“We will treat all parties involved in any type of complaint equitably and fairly,” she said. “Everybody gets a fair shot at the process.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 10/2/2013 under the headline "UF campaign targets harassment, sexual discrimination"