Shands, Flad Architects hold pumpkin carve-off

<p>UF architecture junior Michelle Hook, 21, makes “Despicable Me” minions at the 31st Annual Pumpkin Carve-Off and carnival for patients at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital on Monday.</p>

UF architecture junior Michelle Hook, 21, makes “Despicable Me” minions at the 31st Annual Pumpkin Carve-Off and carnival for patients at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital on Monday.

UF Health Shands Hospital and Flad Architects came together Monday to carve up some fun.

The 31st annual Pumpkin Carve-Off was held in the UF Health Shands Atrium on Archer Road to bring Halloween spirit to the children in the pediatric department. Nine teams and 21 individual competitors participated.

Tim Williams, a representative for Flad Architects, said this year’s contest brought Flad closer to Shands’ pediatric department.

“Prior to this year it was architects, engineers, contractors and everybody on the construction side,” he said. “This year, we’ve opened entrance to the community as well as Shands patients and staff.”

The children, staff and volunteers at the event were enthusiastic about the pumpkins, games and candy. There were six winning categories and three honorable mentions. The pulmonary medicine team, whose pumpkin was complete with a carved rib cage, wolf head and functioning false lungs, won best in show. The winning team brought home gift cards to Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks and Panera Bread.

Christina Eagan, a nurse at UF and member of the pulmonary medicine team, said she was excited about the win.

“It feels awesome, and it was lots of fun to do,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 10/29/2013 under the headline "Shands, architects hold pumpkin carve-off"