Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Your shattered iPhones may live to see another day now that CampusFix.iT is expanding to UF.

Based out of the University of Texas at Austin, CampusFix.iT began in August as an on-campus iPhone repair business with the goal of a bringing fast, convenient service to students.

After the company’s success serving UT students on campus, the startup decided to expand to 18 universities throughout the country, said Ben Gallegos, 22, a UT economics senior and executive vice president who joined the company last semester.

The concept of CampusFix.iT is simple.

A student can make a repair appointment online and then meet a repair technician on anywhere on campus, such as Library West, at an agreed-upon time.

The repair techs also attend each respective university, so they’ll already be familiar with the campus.

The phone is repaired in front of the student and the process takes about 15 to 45 minutes.

Every repair comes with a lifetime warranty, Gallegos said.

“Students don’t always have transportation to make it to a repair shop,” Gallegos said. 

Though CampusFix.iT isn’t fully operational at UF yet, he said, it’s in the process of hiring technicians. The service should be ready in a couple weeks.

Caroline Armstrong, a 19-year-old UF civil engineering sophomore, said she thinks the on-campus aspect of the company makes it more convenient and easier for students.

Currently, the college startup only services the line of iPhone 5 devices — iPhone 5, 5c and 5s. But it hopes to offer iPhone 6 and 6 Plus repairs in the future, Gallegos said.

Repairs start at $100 for the iPhone 5c and $111 for the iPhone 5 and 5s.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 1/30/2015 under the headline “iPhone repair coming to campus"]