<p>UF has blocked 17 trademarked names from receiving adult-oriented .xxx domain names at a fee of $200 per address.</p>

UF has blocked 17 trademarked names from receiving adult-oriented .xxx domain names at a fee of $200 per address.

The Gator name will not be a part of the adult entertainment industry — at least for the next 10 years.

UF paid a one-time fee of $200 per name to block 17 trademarked names, including Gator Nation, Gators, Rowdy Reptiles and University of Florida, from being purchased as .xxx domain names. The university additionally purchased OrangeandBlue.xxx because it is not a university-owned trademark.

Websites with the .xxx suffix, which went on sale to the public in December, are reserved for adult entertainment.

The university spent about $3,600 total, said Janine Sikes, spokeswoman for UF.

In order to block the names, the university had to prove it had a registered trademark and provide the date of the trademark. By blocking the adult-oriented .xxx domain names, UF ensured no one else can purchase them for the next 10 years.

"UF did not wants its name or any of its trademark names to be used with inappropriate content," Sikes said.

She said UF plans to do nothing with the domain names.

Psychology junior Jessenia Guerra, 20, doesn't consider UF's investment a big issue.

"I don't know if other people would be disturbed by it, but I'm happy a porn website won't come up," she said.