Wiz Khalifa raps at sold-out O'Connell Center, follows K Camp opening

<p>Rapper Wiz Khalifa performs his hit song, "Black and Yellow," to a sold-out crowd in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Feb. 11, 2016.</p>

Rapper Wiz Khalifa performs his hit song, "Black and Yellow," to a sold-out crowd in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Feb. 11, 2016.

Wiz Khalifa fans ignored a sign that read “no smoking” Thursday as bass shook the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.

Admirers throughout the room chanted “Taylor Gang,” and a man pressed against the stage, stretching his hand to offer Khalifa a hit of what he was puffing at the O’Connell Center. The rapper took the stage at 8:09 p.m. Thursday, following the artist K Camp.

Khalifa opened with “Freak Dips” and rapped well-known tracks such as “Gang Bang,” “Black and Yellow” and “Roll Up.” The sold-out show was held by Student Government Productions and the Black Student Union. They paid the two artists a combined $153,500.

Neon green wristbands marked the arms of those with floor seats, while others marched to the nosebleed section. 

Sofia Luna, a 21-year-old UF marketing senior, scanned tickets as fans filed through the doors. 

Of her one-and-a-half years working at the O’Connell Center, she said she has only been to one other hip-hop concert. 

“Most of the time it’s country artists, so I’m really excited for this one,” she said. 

When the crowd died down, she said she would try to go catch a glimpse of the artist. 

Carley Phillips traveled from St. Augustine, Florida, for the concert. The high school senior said she didn’t care that it was a school night.

“I’ve been a fan for years, but this is my first Wiz concert,” Phillips, 17, said. 

Marcus Seidman of Marco Island, Florida, wore a new Wiz Khalifa T-shirt over his clothes. His black hat featured pictures of marijuana leaves.

“The vibe in here is amazing,” Seidman, 18, said. “I’m so pumped for this right now.”

When Khalifa took the stage, fans on the floor, like Seidman, rushed to the stage to rap along with him.

The rapper, dressed head to toe in white, asked one question to the audience: “Are y’all ready to get high with me tonight?”

The audience responded with an ear-splitting roar.

Contact Molly Donovan at mdonovan@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @Mollyidonovan.