UF surveys students for future development and improvement

UF is asking students where they like to eat and hang out.

UF emailed the survey to 52,000 students April 7 as part of its strategic development plan, in which the university is asking students how to make UF and the area surrounding campus better, said Jodi Gentry, the assistant vice president for UF Human Resource Services. The survey will be open until Thursday.

For the survey, students use an interactive map to click on where they live, eat, socialize and feel the least safe. Students drag a cursor to the address of where they go.

“It’s designed to give people an opportunity to indicate how they interact with campus,” Gentry said. “What could we do better?”

Before it went online, she said they started conducting interviews with students in February. They’ll continue the survey through Fall.

After that, analysts will use information and make a list of ideas to improve the campus and Gainesville. Gentry said UF is working with the city and county on this plan.

“It’s the idea that a great college town makes a great university,” she said.

Ilene Morgan, a UF applied physiology and kinesiology freshman, said she hopes UF brings healthier food options to campus.

“I’m happy they are asking students how we feel because we are the ones that are impacted,” the 18-year-old said.

@merylkornfield 

mkornfield@alligator.org