Juan Gilbert, one of the first hires under UF’s Preeminence Plan, has been appointed to chair of the department of computer and information science and engineering in the UF College of Engineering.

The Preeminence Plan is an $800 million fundraising initiative to help UF become a top-10 public research university, according to a press release.

Gilbert, 46, was first hired by UF as associate chair of research in the department in July 2014.

He brought with him a team of 21 faculty, doctoral and postdoctoral students from Clemson University to continue their work in the field of human-centered computing, according to the UF Preeminence website.

Human-Centered Computing (HCC) is a field that focuses on creating computer technologies that relate to the human condition, according to the Clemson University website. 

“His experience in the field of human-centered computing will be invaluable as the university continues to seek solutions in that area,” said Donna Winchester, a spokeswoman for UF.

A few years ago, Gilbert created an electronic voting system called Prime III that allows people with disabilities to cast their votes in the same system as everyone else. 

He gave it away for free, according to a press release.

Gilbert said he started his undergraduate schooling as a chemistry major but switched to computer science to avoid going to graduate school after a senior told him it was required. 

“I said, ‘I don’t want to go to graduate school,’” Gilbert said. “‘I don’t even know what that is. I thought I went to college to get a job.’”

He ended up enjoying computer science and stuck with it.

He has a bachelor’s degree in systems analysis from Miami University of Ohio and a master’s and doctorate degree in computer science from the University of Cincinnati.

Gilbert is an Andrew Banks Family Preeminence Endowed Chair, a position funded by a $5 million endowment given by Andrew and Pamela Banks to hire faculty that will help UF become a top-10 public research university.

Gilbert said his main goal for the department is increasing its research profile. 

He wants the state and nation to see UF as a resource to consult with issues in technology.

But when Gilbert has more time, he said he wants to get back to fishing. 

“I haven’t had the chance to do that (in Gainesville) yet,” he said. “My boys are afraid to go because of the gators. I’m like, ‘Yes let’s go fishing,’ and they’re like, ‘Dad. No. There are gators in there.’”