<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Emma Neagu, a 19-year-old UF telecommunication junior, takes a selfie using Snapchat on Thursday morning in Weimer Hall. The app is becoming a recruiting tool.</span></p>

Emma Neagu, a 19-year-old UF telecommunication junior, takes a selfie using Snapchat on Thursday morning in Weimer Hall. The app is becoming a recruiting tool.

Any UF student on campus with the Snapchat app could have known Devin Bostwick spent Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the library.

The university recently added Snapchat’s Campus Story feature, joining other universities like Pennsylvania State and University of California.

“Only Snapchatters whose phones indicate they’re in and around a campus, or were there in the last 24 hours, are able to post to and view the Campus Story,” UF director of social media, Todd Sanders, wrote in an email, reiterating what was said on the app’s website.

Bostwick, 22, said he enjoyed being on the Campus Story. 

Because it was silly and spontaneous, he didn’t expect it to make the cut.

“Even if your video is only a mere 10 seconds, you’re still given the spotlight,” the UF biology senior said.

UF is getting snappy with selfies, embracing Snapchat as a major form of communication.

Andy Howard, Recreation Sports assistant director for marketing and communications, manages the RecSports account. He said he uses Snapchat to make a more personal connection with students, sharing tutorials and information about the facility. Each story gets about 350 views.

Student posts on daily struggles, food and study habits help the RecSports staff learn more about their needs.

“It’s helpful insight and a new way to serve students,” Howard said.

Bostwick said he uses Snapchat on a regular basis.

“More than likely I will try to get back on (the Campus Story),” he said. “A lot of people recognized me, and it was fun while it lasted.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/22/2015 under the headline “Snapchat tells UF campus story"]