Gainesville coffee shops inspire scenes in UF student’s book

<p>UF criminology junior Nikolas Wong, 21, sits in Starbucks on 3443 SW Archer Road, where he wrote some of his book containing 10 short satire stories. “The Coffee House” can be purchased on Amazon.com for $10. A portion of the profits from the book will be donated to the American Cancer Society.</p>

UF criminology junior Nikolas Wong, 21, sits in Starbucks on 3443 SW Archer Road, where he wrote some of his book containing 10 short satire stories. “The Coffee House” can be purchased on Amazon.com for $10. A portion of the profits from the book will be donated to the American Cancer Society.

Conversations in coffee shops have gone on to inspire a book that in part will raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Nikolas Wong, a 21-year-old UF criminology junior, has published a series of 10 short satire stories titled “The Coffee House.” Each story within the book looks at different people’s conversations over coffee. Many of the coffee shops are inspired by local places, such as the Starbucks on Archer Road or Karma Cream, Wong said. A Starbucks in Miami was also an influence.

The book is dedicated to his Aunt May, who is currently battling cancer and was diagnosed in 2007. Her personality inspired him to write the books. She has a dark sense of humor that is reflected in the nature of the stories.

“Her good sense of humor keeps her spirits high,” Wong said. “It’s the best healing method.”

Because of Aunt May, he is donating a portion of the profits from the book to the American Cancer Society. He sells paperbacks on Amazon for $10, and digital copies will soon be available for download, he said. Wong said he’s not in it for personal money, but instead because he wants to make a difference. He’s been in contact with the American Cancer Society, and they plan to work together.

Wong’s friends were also inspiration for the book. He said that during high school, his friends would join him to get coffee and ended up having immature but heartwarming conversations.

When he transferred to UF last Fall, he didn’t know many people. Wong relied on the familiarity of coffee shops to help him ease into life in Gainesville. When he joined UF’s Sparks Magazine, he was inspired to compile many of his experiences into a book.

Wong said he has always wanted to write. This year, he became a registered author with the Library of Congress.

He used an independent publisher, www.createspace.com, to print his book. By doing that, he said, it was easier to donate money. Most of the book was sponsored through donations.

He drew his own illustrations and a friend, a UF fine arts student, did the cover art.

One of Wong’s favorite stories in the book is the second to last: a conversation that takes place on Mother’s Day between a son and his mother. The tale is told from the point of view of the son and explores his embarrassment while his mother discusses the pains of his birth in a place as public as a Starbucks.

Wong said one of his funniest stories is the true account of a conversation he had with his friend, in which his friend discussed aspects of his risqué lifestyle. He said all of the stories in the book are based on true conversations and most of the names are the same. His friends’ reactions have been positive — most of them are excited to see their names printed in the book.

“One of my favorite reactions would happen during the editing process, when my friends would see my typos and laugh,” Wong said. “But I loved to see when they would open the book and smile.”

Perhaps one of Wong’s most touching stories is his last short story, a one page account that he wrote for a girl. In it, he uses Karma Cream as a backdrop while he discusses making contact with a girl he admires.

Wong has plans for at least two more books and has already started the second book, which might have a subtitle of “Decaf.” He says hints of a second book can be seen in the first.

Jane Yun, 17, a senior at Oak Hall High School; Grace Lee, 17, a senior at Eastside High School; and Katie Lee, 18, also a senior at Eastside High School; said they would be interested in reading Wong’s book. They were studying Monday afternoon in another familiar coffee destination: Panera.

“It would be interesting to read a book based on where you lived,” Yun said. “And it would be funny to know that you’ve been there.”

“It would be even funnier if you knew the people,” Grace Lee added.

Wong said he hopes the book becomes popular.

“I just want to share it with other UF students because I think they’ll enjoy it,” he said. “Plus, many of my friends who inspired me to write the book go to UF, so I want to give them more credit. There is really a lot of UF embedded in the book.”