GatorLAN draws gamers, spectators for triannual tournament

<p>Sonia Dela Cruz, right, a 21-year-old microbiology junior, plays a dance video game during GatorLAN in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom in November of 2012.</p>

Sonia Dela Cruz, right, a 21-year-old microbiology junior, plays a dance video game during GatorLAN in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom in November of 2012.

Crowds of spectators crowded around tables of competitors playing video games like “Mario Kart 8” and “League of Legends” as the music from Dance Dance Revolution filled the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

Gamers and onlookers from around the state gathered in the ballroom Saturday to watch and compete in the first GatorLAN of the school year.

GatorLAN is the largest free competitive video gaming event in Florida and is hosted by Gator Gaming, a UF student organization, three times a year.

President of Gator Gaming Eduardo Fonseca, 22, said about 600 people registered to take part in the 13-hour public event.

“Gaming just brings people together from all sorts of different backgrounds and personalities,” the UF digital arts and sciences senior said. “All sorts of people — very talented people — come out here, and it’s just fun to see everyone come together just for this one experience.”

Applicants register online to compete in games provided by sponsors, such as Study Edge and Trendy Entertainment.

Gamers are required to bring their own controller, console and computer to the event. This year, “Super Smash Bros. Melee” and “League of Legends” were two of the most popular games.

Josse Calzado, a UF psychology senior, attended GatorLAN on Saturday for his fourth time. The first time he heard about it was from a flier for a free video gaming event, he said. But the competition keeps him coming back.

“I like playing against other people, getting their insight, things like that, you know,” said Calzado, 21. “I’m a competitive person by nature. I kind of thrive off of it.”

Gamers were not the only attendees intensely staring at screens. About 2,000 onlookers came to watch the game competitions throughout the day, Fonseca said.

Spectators were also able to watch through a  live-stream.

“You see people you never ever see in any other scenario,” he said. “Not everyone likes sports, not everyone likes dancing, but for some reason, gaming can be the great equalizer where even just watching it is fun, too.”