UF and the rest of the world is celebrating World Go Vegan Week from Oct. 25 to Oct. 31.

Created by the animal rights organization In Defense of Animals four years ago as a global effort to promote plant-based diets, World Go Vegan Week has events throughout the week ranging from vegan costume parties in San Francisco to educational events in Bolivia.

UF's environmental vegetarian group, enVeg, plans to sponsor several events to celebrate World Go Vegan Week, including a presentation Wednesday night by Brendan Brazier, a vegan triathlete and author, followed by a Halloween-themed vegan potluck Saturday afternoon.

"You don't need to be vegan to be part of the movement," said Ellen Martin, secretary of enVeg.

EnVeg also brought Bruce Friedrich, vice president of policy and government affairs for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, to UF's campus Saturday to kickoff World Go Vegan Week.

Martin pointed out the positives of a vegan lifestyle and said World Go Vegan is a fun opportunity to educate the community on plant-based diets.

"I think people should view Go Veg Week as their own little holiday," she said.

For more information on World Go Vegan Week visit worldgoveganweek.com.