Hiring for new college graduates projected to increase 13 percent

The class of 2013 could have a better chance at job opportunities than 2012 graduates.

The National Association of Colleges and Employers published a survey last month that found employers projected a 13 percent increase in new-college-graduate hiring.

According to the survey, the top 10 bachelor’s degrees in demand for the graduating class of 2013 include finance at No. 1 and economics at No. 10. Others listed were business administration and mechanical engineering

“I think this information is showing a positive sign and that the economy is getting better slowly,” said Heather White, director of the Career Resource Center.

White said students in technology fields aren’t the only ones whose job opportunities could be increasing.

“I see the positive trend all around,” she said. “One of the largest student groups by major that come by here [Career Resource Center] is liberal arts.”

White said many people don’t realize that technology-based companies also hire nontechnology students because each company has different departments. The survey showed that of those employers surveyed, the ones likely to increase hiring of new college graduates were in fields like computer and electronics manufacturing, retail trade, real estate, and chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing.

Although no liberal arts or humanities degrees made it on the survey’s list, many UF students are still hopeful.

English and history senior Dylan Fay, 21, said he’s not scared of unemployment.

“I think there will always be a demand for people who think critically,” he said.

However, sociology senior Sherry Akanni, 22, said she’s concerned about not getting a job. But she said internships and leadership activities often make students more marketable to employers.

Others, like health education and behavior junior Esther Celestin, 20, plan on enrolling in graduate school.

“Getting a bachelor’s is not enough,” she said.

Economics and history junior Josh Cole, 20, said he thinks the survey results are promising.

“It appears a recovery is under way, despite policies that work against it,” he said.

Cole plans to attend graduate school; he said he believes he will have a greater chance of getting a job in the future. He said it’s good to “wait it out a little bit.”

As for students’ time at UF, White suggests students network with potential employers, plan career goals and utilize the CRC.

“My motto here is ‘Come early and often,’” she said.