Warrior models to command runway at PAM fashion show

The Pride Student Union sees the Pride Awareness Month Fashion Show models as more than mannequins.

PSU is hosting the annual PAM Fashion Show at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom, and second-time fashion show director Kevin Huynh said it will be a platform for individuality.

“It is very easy to blend in, but we want to give props to people who want to stand out,” said Huynh, a UF public relations senior.

The casting calls discovered models of all shapes, sizes, orientations and cultures, Huynh, 23, said. This year’s theme is Warriors.

There are nine designers, including five locals and four from around the country. This is PAM’s largest fashion show to date, Huynh said.

Clovis Marrett, one of PAM’s stylists and designers, said the organization wanted to bring people of all sexual orientations together.

“We want to be able to discuss everyday issues through the clothing and through the minds of our designs,” Marrett, 25, said.

Pride Awareness Month began March 16 and ends April 20. Most of the events, from the speakers to the fashion show, are free.

“Gainesville really has creative fashionable people, and the best way to nurture talent is to not charge,” Huynh said.

Diamond Delancy, a UF public relations junior, said the fashion show is one of PAM’s big moments.

“I think the fashion show represents the community because it is all about celebrating our identity, and clothing is an enormous way that people express their identity,” Delancy, 20, said.

Marrett said PAM is not about sexuality — it’s about being a human being.

“Love yourself; respect yourself and others who aren’t as open to it,” Marrett said. “It is never too late to explore and be taught something new.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 3/31/2015 under the headline “Warrior models to command runway at PAM fashion show”]

Who am I? Mapping Identities of The Gator Nation:Students can anonymously place their identities on a board on Turlington Plaza to visually admire UF’s diversity — Today, 11 a.m.

Transvisible Film: A documentary on the life of renowned trans Latina activist and leader Bamby Salcedo at La Casita — Today, 7 p.m.

Take Back the Night March: A night march and rally to end sexual violence on Norman Field — Wednesday, 6 p.m.

Queer Prom: Ustler Hall — Monday, 8 p.m.