Chomp the Vote forum to educate students on state of economy

Chomp the Vote, a Student Government agency dedicated to raising voter awareness, is holding a forum tonight about the state of the economy at 6 p.m. in Pugh Hall.

The event, which is beigh held about one year after President Obama’s inauguration, will focus on the president’s economic policies and how the U.S. economy has evolved.

“There has been so much attention paid to President Obama’s economic policy,” said Jenna Stern, Chomp the Vote director. “I know there is a lot of confusion about how the decisions made in Washington affect students here at UF.”

The discussion will also focus on America’s economic future.

Stern said Chomp the Vote wants to educate the student population about policy issues that are important to our generation.

“Seniors who are graduating have to care about the state of economic prosperity in this country because we are all going to be out there looking for jobs.”

The forum will feature UF economics professors David Denslow and Mark Rush.

Event coordinators expect about 100 students to attend.

Stern said Chomp the Vote members hope to appeal to a student audience that may feel disconnected from politics, by displaying video clips of popular TV shows at the forum.

Katie Giglio, a UF communication sciences and disorders junior, said the event will be helpful as she pursues a career.

“I feel I need to be better informed about our nation’s economic status since I will soon be entering the work force,” Giglio said.

The event will be an hour long, and free pizza will be served.