<p class="p1">UF students gather Friday morning to support Florida State University amid the recent tragedy by signing their names and messages of encouragement on posters.</p>

UF students gather Friday morning to support Florida State University amid the recent tragedy by signing their names and messages of encouragement on posters.

Yik Yak was full of support for Florida State University after the shooting in Strozier Library early Thursday morning, but Rachel Werk wanted to put faces to the words of kindness.

The UF behavioral and cognitive neuroscience senior formed a demonstration of Florida unity with her friend Alyssa Lowder on Turlington Plaza  at 11:30 a.m. Friday.

Werk and UF finance senior Lowder stood on the white bench in garnet shirts with #FLSTRONG painted in gold and addressed a crowd of about 200.

“These victims are in all different kinds of realms: physically, emotionally, psychologically,” Werk, 21, said. “It was a tragedy, and it hurts all of us. I want to thank you all for coming out and showing your support.”

Werk read a statement from a friend who she said worded it best: “No one is thinking about the football game we’ll be having in a little over a week, or what colors we bleed. At the end of the day, we all bleed red.”

Lowder said the event was created and organized in fewer than 24 hours, and the Facebook group reached nearly 500 members.

“Immediately, support, love and prayers poured out from this university, as well as student bodies from FAMU, USF, UCF and UM, to name a few,” the 21-year-old said. “All of this shows me that we, as a united Student Body all across the state of Florida, will not take this atrocity so lightly.”

Lowder said no college students should live in fear for their lives.

“You hear these things on the news and never know how you’re going to react until it happens so close to home,” Lowder said. “I’m proud to say we acted in solidarity, support and love. To my FSU friends, I’m so glad that you’re OK, and if you ever need anything, your Gator family is here. One heart, one people, one Florida. Florida strong.”

After a moment of silence, Werk and Lowder handed out signs that spelled out #FLORIDASTRONG in gold and then brought the crowd together for a photo.

“It’s beautiful we’re able to put aside petty rivalry,” said Cesia Salan, an 18-year-old UF microbiology and cell science freshman, whose best friend of 14 years attends FSU.

Werk said the quick student response was great and shows how important it is to be supportive.

“It instills a faith in humanity,” she said.