Last week, Florida’s Board of Governors approved a $25 million bond package request for a disability-friendly residence hall.

The request for the bond package was previously given the go-ahead from UF’s Board of Trustees.

All that remains is the decision from the governor’s office, which will be announced in October.

In addition to the bonds, the hall will be funded with profits from rent, Sharon Blansett, assistant to the associate vice president for student affairs, wrote in an email.

The residence hall is set to be built by Fall 2015, she said.

Fast Facts

There are already more than 70 residence hall spaces in campus housing that are in compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act specifications.

“The new hall will have 255 spaces,” Blansett said. “Thirty-five of these spaces can be converted to support students with higher levels of mobility needs.”

Alex Amaro, a 22-year-old UF economics junior, thinks the idea of a disability-friendly dorm is great.

“I think it’s progressive,” he said. “They’re opening doors for all kinds of students, and I think that’s a good idea.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/17/2013 under the headline "Disability-friendly housing by Fall 2015"