<p>The UF Levin College of Law and community will honor Judge Stephan P. Mickle, a 1965 alumnus, with a tree dedication ceremony at 4 p.m. Thursday on the UF Law West Courtyard.</p>

The UF Levin College of Law and community will honor Judge Stephan P. Mickle, a 1965 alumnus, with a tree dedication ceremony at 4 p.m. Thursday on the UF Law West Courtyard.

The first African-American to graduate with a bachelor’s degree from UF put down symbolic roots at the university, and now UF is planting a tree in his honor.

George Dawson, interim dean and professor of the law school, said the dedication is based on Mickle’s achievements and contribution to the university. Mickle used to teach the trial advocacy course at the law school, which is still offered today.

“This is a formal recognition of his status; more importantly he is the first African-American male to graduate from UF, so it has been 50 years since then,” Dawson said. “There will be a plaque that will be placed by the tree in the ceremony to recognize him.” 

Mickle was the second African-American to graduate from the law school, but his career is filled with firsts.

He was the first African-American federal judge from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida, serving from 1999 to 2011; and the first African-American to establish a private law practice in Gainesville.

He was the first African-American county judge of Alachua County; the first African-American circuit court judge of the Eighth Judicial Circuit; and first African-American eighth circuit court judge to be appointed to Florida’s First District Court of Appeal, according to a UF Law news release.

Brian Lawrence, a second-year law student at UF and a member of the Black Law Students Association, said he hopes for a great turnout.

“We had the privilege of listening to Judge Mickle speak at BLSA’s end of the year banquet,” Lawrence, 24, said. “He’s been such a pioneer throughout his career and I’m thrilled his accomplishments are being honored.”