UF Counseling & Wellness Center sees rise in number of new patients

More students are using UF’s Counseling & Wellness Center, following a national rise in reported mental health issues on college campuses.

The percentage of college students struggling with serious mental health issues has risen in recent years, according to a national survey conducted by the American College Counseling Association.

But Meggen Sixbey, the associate director at the center, said she doesn’t think mental health is getting worse, but as people learn about the symptoms of mental health issues, they are seeking help. The number of students using the center has risen as a result.

“There is a destigmatization of mental health and our campus and country in general is doing a better job of training people to be eyes and ears and recognize signs of distress,” she said.

Last year, the center counseled 4,401 new student clients, and this year the number has risen to 4,764 new student clients, Sixbey said.

For students who don’t go to the center, Jen Day Shaw, the UF Dean of Students, said U Matter, We Care will reach out to them.

“Because we aren’t called a counseling center — we’re a care team — sometimes it can be less intimidating for students to come to us first,” she said.

For the last 15 months, UF’s center has also worked with 12 different college and university counseling centers in a statewide suicide awareness intervention. To do research on how to improve care, the center is holding discussion groups.

There are more than 1,000 suicides on college campuses per year, according to a report by Emory University.

“For the first time we are trying to get the student voice in this mental health conversation,” Sixbey said.