The Gator Nation is everywhere — including Africa and Asia.

Thanks to a $49 million grant from the U.S. Agency for International Development, UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences will work to feed the world and end hunger in Africa and Asia. With the money, the university was able to start the initiative with the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Livestock Systems, which was created at the beginning of the month, said Adegbola Adesogan, the program’s director.

The lab targets six countries in West and East Africa and South Asia. It aims to increase livestock productivity as well as the incomes and nutrition of livestock stakeholders within these countries, Adesogan said.

"(The grant) shows that American people care, the generosity of our people in attempts to help the most vulnerable," Adesogan said.

Women will be an important part of the initiative, as they do the bulk of farming in the countries being helped, he said.

UF animal sciences senior Christian Keen said he thinks the lab is a great opportunity for women.

"It’s great because it impacts people all over the world," the 21-year-old said.