Donald Pemberton is working to ensure all students get a chance at success.

Pemberton, the UF College of Education’s Lastinger Center for Learning director, has offered underprivileged students that opportunity through Take Stock In Children, an organization he founded 20 years ago.

Recently, the National College Access Network awarded Pemberton the Bob Craves Champion of College Access Award to recognize his work with the organization.

"There are so many young people who will be successful in life if simply given the opportunity," he said.

Take Stock In Children has made it possible for more than 25,000 underprivileged students to attend college, Pemberton said. The program awards college scholarships to high school students and provides them with mentors who encourage them to pursue higher education.

Sara Melnick, deputy director of the NCAN, wrote in an email that Pemberton was the natural choice for this award because he is devoted to helping students.

But Pemberton’s investment in education doesn’t stop at Take Stock In Children. He also created Algebra Nation, a statewide program designed to increase the passing rate of high schoolers on algebra end-of-course exams.

"It’s really affirming that if you invest in people at a young age, they’ll be successful," he said.

UF communication sciences and disorders senior Tyler Dwyer is a Take Stock In Children scholar. He said he started the program in middle school and worked with a mentor until he graduated.

"If it wasn’t for Take Stock In Children, I probably wouldn’t be here at UF," the 21-year-old said.