Anna Martin looked up as two students wrapped a royal-blue fabric around her head.

When it twisted neatly into five layers, she touched the turban and smiled at the two students from the Sikh Student Association who helped wrap her head.

“It’s surprisingly comfy,” the 20-year-old UF psychology senior said. “It feels like wearing a pillow on your head.”

The Sikh Student Association hosted its annual turban day on Turlington Plaza on Thursday.

About 30 students allowed members to wrap turbans on their heads and answer questions about their faith, Sikhism.

Jasmeet Kalsi, the organization’s co-president, said the goal was to bring awareness of the Sikh religion and eliminate stereotypes through educating students.

“Our physical appearance is different, but that doesn’t make us foreign or terrorists,” the 22-year-old UF biology senior said.

Martin said she heard about the event from her intercultural communication’s professor.

“I think it’s cool they took time to tell other people about their culture,” she said.

Kalsi said the event has not received negative reactions in the past and hopes to continue educating students about her religion.

“That ignorance is where hate and fear stem from,” she said. “As long as we educate people, I like to think we won’t have problems.” Neal Singh, a member and former president, said he has participated in turban day since 2009.

Singh said his favorite aspect of the event is that students of every culture are willing to experience his.

“Despite what people feel about different faiths, it’s amazing people are willing to come out and experience something different,” he said.