UF applicants will get a taste of freshman frustration when answering this year’s essay prompt: “What is the good life?”

Students first pondered this question when UF made What is the Good Life? a mandatory class in 2012.

The university is now expanding this theme from classroom discussions to the essay, which asks students to describe their idea of  a good life.

But for some UF students, the question still remains unanswered.   

“At the end of my good life class, my professor said, ‘I’m not so sure what the good life is,’” said Rebecca Vitkus, a 20-year-old UF English senior. “So does anyone really know?”

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said the prompt was chosen as a precursor to the course.

“It allows applicants to reflect on a question that all freshmen students have the chance to explore in the ‘What is the Good Life?’ course,” Orlando wrote in an email.

He also said the personal essay gives Admissions the opportunity to hear from students in a way not available through test scores or activities.

Bruno Paes-Leme, an 18-year-old UF biomedical engineering freshman, said exploring the good life is a way for students to embrace individuality.

“I appreciate that they recognize that none of us here are blank slates, but rather people who are full of rich cultures, ideas and aspirations, and that each of us have something of value to bring to the table,” he said.

For Stephanie Diaz, a 19-year-old UF health science sophomore, the prompt is too much to ask of high school seniors.

“I think it’s unfair to ask them at this stage in their life,” she said. “You don’t really know anything about life yet. I’d have no idea how to answer it.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/18/2014 under the headline "New UF application essay"]